When do I need an oil protector?

The oil protector has been specially developed for direct evaporation air conditioning and refrigeration systems. In the event of system leakage, it retains the used lubricating oil in the compressor. Rainwater is drained off via the separator system and oil is retained in accordance with the legal requirements (VUmwS). There is no minimum quantity at which used machine oil (Water Hazard Class 3) can be processed without a safety device.

When do I need a glycol protector?

The glycol protector has been specially developed for air conditioning and refrigeration systems that have a water-glycol mix. Glycols, including food-safe ones, are categorised as Water Hazard Class 1 and require a safety device as per the environmental protection regulations (VUmwS). In the event of a leak, the valves are closed and a fault signal is triggered.

Which water hazard class does substance XY come under?

A detailed list of all substances can be found under Rigoletto, the website of the Umweltbundesamt (Federal Environment Agency).

When is compressor oil defined as waste oil?

In the General Administrative Regulations amending the Administrative Regulations on Substances Hazardous to Waters of 27 July 2005, the following footnote applies to the classification of waste oils under Water Hazard Class 3: Waste oils within the meaning of these regulations are oils that accumulate as waste and consist wholly or partly of mineral, synthetic or biogenic oil (§ 1a para. 1 Waste Oil Regulations (AltölV)), including oily residues from containers, emulsions and water/oil mixtures. In some cases, waste oils whose composition is known on the basis of the oil’s origin and use or on the basis of analysis (e.g. waste insulating or hydraulic oils, but not waste motor oils) may be assigned to a water hazard class <3 in accordance with Appendix 4 (Categorisation of Mixtures under Water Hazard Classes).

At what point can used oil be classified as waste oil?

The definition of waste can be found in the definitions of the Waste Act (Abfallgesetz) §3: § 3 Definitions

(1) For the purposes of this Act, waste shall mean any movable property falling within the categories set out in Annex I that the holder discards or intends or is required to discard. Waste for recovery is waste that is recoverable; waste that is not recoverable is waste for disposal. 2. The disposal referred to in paragraph 1 shall be deemed to be effected when the holder disposes of movable property for recovery within the meaning of Annex II B or disposes of it within the meaning of Annex II A, or abandons the actual control of such property and forfeits further use. (3) The intention to dispose of movable property within the meaning of paragraph 1 shall be deemed to exist in respect of such movable property (1) that is produced in the course of energy conversion, manufacture, treatment or use of substances or products or in the course of the provision of services without the purpose of the act in question being directed thereto, or (2) whose original purpose ceases to exist or is abandoned without any new purpose directly replacing it. Assessment of the purpose intended shall be based on the opinion of the producer or owner, taking into account the public’s view of the product. (4) The holder must dispose of movable property within the meaning of paragraph 1 if it is no longer used in accordance with its original purpose, if its actual condition is such that it is or may in future be likely to endanger the public interest, in particular the environment, and if its potential danger can be excluded only through proper and safe recovery or disposal in the public interest in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the statutory orders issued on the basis of this Act.

How often should I monitor safety equipment?

The environmental protection regulations (VUmwS) §1 para. 2 state that “The operator of a plant as per § 62 para. 1 must constantly monitor the safety equipment. The monitoring should not be intermittent but constant, similar to that for a fire damper (closed when there is no power). Our system is constructed in line with the requirements for a safety system such that that any disruption to the circuit (power failure, component defect etc.) immediately triggers a fault message.

For the purposes energy saving, wouldn’t it make more sense for the valve to be shut when there is no power?

Just as with a fire damper, in order to meet the statutory requirements, there is no getting around the requirement for valves to be shut when there is no power. Using a battery would pose a safety risk in the form of cable breaks or limited battery life. A defect in the valve motor would also be a safety problem. The energy consumption of a valve is 3 watts and is therefore negligible.

Is there a mixing ratio limit up to which waste oil can be mixed with waste water?

Under the waste water regulations (Abwasserverordnung) of 17 June 2004, described in Appendix 49, paragraph E, section 1, discharge of up to 20 mg per litre of waste water is permitted. However, this section deals exclusively with the following scope of application: (1) This Annex applies to waste water whose pollutant load mainly originates from operational facilities in which waste water containing mineral oil is regularly produced during the degreasing, cleaning, maintenance, repair and recycling of vehicles and vehicle parts. (2) This Annex does not apply to waste water from (1) the treatment of bilge, slop and ballast water from ships, (2) the treatment of waste water from mechanical treatment and paint shops, or (3) the internal cleaning of transport containers. An air conditioning system clearly does not fall within this scope.

Will the DIbT license the glycol protector for use?

According to the DIbT’s Holger Eggert, the glycol protector is unlikely to be licensed for use. “Under the WasBauPVO regulations (which govern the suitability of construction products and types of construction under water law by means of proof in accordance with building regulations) and the building regulations of the federal states, official approval is required for serially produced construction products and types of construction for fixed installations for the storage, filling and transhipment of substances hazardous to water. After reviewing the documents you have sent us, the catch basins and safety devices would need to be considered here. However, the application shown here is not a storage facility, so general building authority approvals cannot in this case be granted.”

Who invented the oil protector and glycol protector?

In 1998, a Nordhorn company was first made aware of the fact that the applicable water management law was in force and, together with a specialist planner, developed the product. The glycol protector has been developed by the firm of Gewässer-Umwelt-Schutz after the reclassification of the water hazard classes and the classification of glycol under Water Hazard Class 1 following several inquiries by planners.

What is tool certificate EN 10204-3.1?

This tool certificate is issued by every stainless steel processing company. Similar to a confirmation of order, it confirms that the stainless steel goods supplied comply with performance standards. Confirmation of order also fulfils this function. The tool certificate can be requested from us at any time.

What happens to the dirt particles?

Dirt particles are easily removed through the drain and therefore do not block the valve. For extreme situations, we can also provide a protective grille if required.

What volume of precipitation can be discharged?

The highest precipitation ever measured by the German Weather Service (312 mm in 24 hours in 2002 in Zinnwald in the Osterzgebirge mountains) could be easily discharged.

What happens if ice forms in the valve?

If ice forms in the valve, our special valve cuts through the ice and locks. In order to keep the entire basin ice-free, an additional heater is required, which does however use more energy. Heaters can be ordered from us.

Are all components designed for outdoor use?

Yes, all components comply with IP protection regulations.